Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sometimes you get it right

I've found that being a mother can be a constant battle in finding balance. I like to keep busy by seeing friends, running, going on walks and strolling the mall so that I don't go stir crazy at home or get too down in the dumps not spending enough time with adults. On the otherhand, I like to stay home so that I can help Meredith figure out a schedule, stay on top of things like laundry & dishes and not wear myself out too much (since I'm certainly not sleeping through the night).

Being home all day, I think of all the things I'd like to get done. Today, I was hoping to get some blackout curtains for Meredith's room (her sheers aren't quite cutting it for nap time) and pick up a few items for our Halloween costumes. After a walk with a friend, I set out to the store. As I was sitting in traffic, I asked myself if this really was a good idea. Meredith would be needing a nap soon. She no longer naps easily in her car seat or stroller. I was feeling tired and sore. Last minute, instead of heading straight to the store, I turned left to head back home.

I am so glad I made that decision. We came home, I ate lunch, she played and then we spent the better part of the afternoon napping- 20 minutes on our own and then an hour and a half together. We both definitely needed that. If I had stayed determined to get my errands done, we would have both been exhausted and cranky. I probably would have felt frustrated trying to pick things out while she was fussing. So, the moral of today is, sometimes you get it right. I'm so glad I did. Here's to more balance in the future!

1 comment:

Kristin W said...

Glad to see you're able to find a few minutes to blog again! I can't wait to see Meredith grow up via your blog :)

Hang in there! You're super mom!

Post a Comment